Arab Women Artists s Now is a one-day pilot festival coinciding with International Women’s Day and will be a showcase for exceptionally talented Arab women artists working in the UK.
It will increase the visibility of their work and expose new audiences to these under-represented communities and cultures.
The day will include spoken word, music, an exhibition of contemporary art and film. There will also be panel discussions on the challenges faced by the artists and free open workshops during the day to encourage participation and engagement.
Programme for the day:
– 11.00 Registration, tea and coffee
– 11.30 Welcome & preview of day’s programme
– 11.45 Spoken word, Fajr Tamimi (Poet)+ Q&A
– 12.15 Presentation on art work, Maiada Aboud (Visual Artist)+ Q&A
– 12.45 Presentation by Hala Ali (Artist and spoken word poet) + Q&A
– 13.15 Lunch break
– 14.00 Contemporary dance performance by Tania Salmen
– 14.15 Panel discussion on experiences and challenges of Arab women artists, curators and producers in the UK. Chaired by Roya Arab (Archaeologist, musician and poet)
• Danah Abdulla (Kalimat Magazine)
• Hannah Khalil (Playwright)
• Yasmin El Derby (Film Curator and Jewellery Designer)
• Tania Diggory (Dancer & Event Producer)
– 15.30 Coffee & tea
– 16.00 Presentation by Nesreen Nabil Hussein (Theatre Maker) + Q&A
– 16.30 Closing story- telling, Alia Alzougbi (Storyteller)
– 16.45 Break
– 17.00 Consultation meeting for Arab women artists and partners.
Chair, Malu Halasa (Editor, Writer and Curator).